What is Bad Breath?
Bad breath, or halitosis (the medical name), is “a noticeable and unpleasant odour in the breath.” 90% of bad breath comes from proteins broken down in your mouth. This is caused by the breakdown of cysteine at the front of the tongue or on the gums. Bad breath can be the result of poor dental health habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Different of types of foods you eat can also cause Bad Breath.
What are the Causes of Bad Breath?
Most of the time a bad breath is caused when food collects and then gets trapped between the teeth and the tongue. The food that’s stuck breaks down and releases bacteria. The bacteria then release a sulfur gas, which smells bad. The main causes of bad breath are as follows:
- Food: The main reason for Bad breath is food remnants in the mouth. Certain foods such as onions, garlic, and spices, also can cause bad breath.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: If you skip brushing, flossing or cleaning your tongue regularly then bacteria build which release sulfur gas thus causing bad breath.
- Dry Mouth: Saliva is necessary to moisten the mouth, neutralize acids produced by plaque, and wash away dead cells that accumulate on the tongue, gums, and cheeks. A condition called dry mouth can contribute to bad breath because the production of saliva is decreased.
- Tobacco Products: Smoking, chewing tobacco or consuming any other tobacco products can leave a foul smell in your mouth.
- Nose & Throat Infections: Infections that can cause nasal airflow or mucus production can also lead to bad mouth odour.
How can Bad Breath be prevented?
Bad breath can be very embarrassing, but it is a common condition and there are numerous ways to prevent it. Following these tips can help you fight bad breath as well as keep your mouth healthy on a daily basis.
- Brushing & Flossing Daily: The best way to remove bad breath is to brush twice daily and floss once daily.
- Cleaning Your Tongue: Everyday while brushing your teeth clean the back of your tongue where most of the bacteria that cause bad breath live.
- Use a Mouthwash before sleeping: Every night before sleeping gargle with a mouthwash, which kills bacteria and gives a fresh breath
- Drink loads of water: Drinking at 8 glasses of water every day will avoid dry mouth thus preventing bad breath
- Visit your dentist: See your Dentist regularly to rule out any dental problems which can use bad breath.
Visit Riar Dental Arts
At Riar Dental Arts taking care of patients is our first priority. Our patients quickly become friends and family. We focus on conservative care and patient education. Dr Riar loves to see families in the community achieve their healthiest smiles with treatments that are gentle and comfortable. As young patients grow up and new patients come in, Riar Dental Arts continue to be the best dentist for the local community. Have a look at our reviews to see what the community of Bakersfield is talking about us. Book your Dental Check up with your own Family Dentist in Bakersfield.